As a membership organisation we value the contribution that each organisation brings to the network. Therefore we would like to highlight one of our members and the great work they do.
This month we put the spotlight on one of our newest member, Investisseurs & Partenaires, to learn about its aims, how it works and what it would like to gain from the EVPA network.
Thanks to Elodie Nocquet, Financial & ESG Officer, for answering our questions.
1. Please tell us a little bit about your history and aims
2. How do you use the venture philanthropy approach? What are the benefits?
3. What would you like to gain from EVPA membership and what are you mostly looking forward to?
Investisseurs & Partenaires (www.ietp.com) is a family of investment funds created by Patrice Hoppenot in 2002. Its goal is to support a new generation of responsible African entrepreneurs and thereby contribute to the emergence of a sustainable and dynamic private sector in sub-Saharan Africa. In 2011, Jean-Michel Severino (former chief executive of l’Agence Française de Développement) took over the management of the company and has helped finalise the closure of a new €54m fund, I&P Afrique Entrepreneurs, in 2012.
The venture philanthropy approach is especially relevant for our historical investment vehicle (I&P Développement) and includes:
- From the investee companies perspective:
- Long-term financing for investments below €300 000. Out of the 30 investments realised, around two-thirds are start-up companies that lacked access to financial resources.
- In addition, strategic guidance and operational support are provided to the investees. This support is, among other things, related to environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues.
- From the investor’s perspective, the philanthropist approach is characterised by low expectations on financial returns – and long maturity of their investment – but high expectations on the economic and ESG impact.
Our main expectations are:
- Meeting other members and sharing practices and experiences, for example on impact and ESG issues.
- Meeting potential new investors, especially for our fundraising on I&P Développement, which will be launched this year.
Past Q&As with EVPA members: